Sunday, November 13, 2011

Is It the "Real Thing"?

I come across vintage tins all the time and try to stay away from them as there are sooo many reproductions these days.  Two varieties of tins I most always stay away from are Coke and Pepsi, however every now and again I come across one that I just can't let go.  Here is an example of what I am talking about.


After searching the web and finding nothing specific about this given tray I am hoping that someone might shed some light on it's authenticity.  This tray measures about 12" in diameter and is about 2" deep.  As you can see by the pics there is some rusting, chips, and the red appears faded.


There are no maker's marks or identifying marks that I can find.  I had read somewhere a while back that the federal government requires companies that produce repro tins to print the company name and date on the item. 


There are experts out there that can turn a repo into what appears to be an authentic, but this one just appears to be the real deal.  I hope that if you are familiar with authentic Coke tins you will take a moment to post any comment that may help me in determining this trays authenicity.



2 comments:

autena said...

Don't know anything about it, but it's a beauty!

onesnevertooold said...

Hi Autena,

Oh I know, I don't know chips about this (prob shudda paid more attention to? lol) but the more and more I read I'm believing this is the "real thing" and may just start my coke collection with it? We'll see, lol. Thanks so much for the visit!